Tuesday, August 9, 2011

ABCs of food

I saw this on Meagan's blog, and decided to...borrow it. Since I love food so much, I thought it would be fun (read: a good excuse to blog without having to upload pictures from my recent beach trip to blog about that instead. More on that later).

A is for Avocado: How do you like yours prepared?
I do love me some guacamole, but I'm also in love with an open-faced sandwich loaded with avocado, fresh tomato, and drunken goat's cheese (sprinkled with some good kosher salt or fleur de sel and oregano), toasted until the cheese is nice and bubbly.

B is for Bread: Regardless of nutrition, what is your favorite type?
I love a good, crusty sourdough. Nothing quite like a slice toasted with butter (butter pre-toast, of course). 

C is for Chocolate: What is your favorite kind currently?
Chocolate is growing on me, and I sort of kind of like it now. It's a good thing I didn't fill out this survey say, a few years ago. Right now I'm loving the Ghiradelli dark chocolate with sea salted caramel squares.

D is for Donuts: You might not currently eat them, but what kind do you fancy?
Classic cake donut. No frosting of any sort. I'm a simple gal.

E is for Eggs: How would you like yours prepared?
Fried, over easy. Eggs Benedict is always welcome, but I'm not one to make fancy pants breakfast. Toast and eggs is good by me.

F is for Falafel: Yay or nay?
An emphatic Yay (yea?)! I actually just had it for dinner here last week. If you live in the D.C. area and love falafel (or don't like it but are willing to try some real, authentic falafel to give it another chance, or if you just really love french fries because theirs are incredible), you must go here. Like, now. They give you your falafel (small or large) in a pita (white or wheat), and then you can go crazy at the toppings bar. Personal favorites include, but are certainly not limited to: hummus, tzatziki, tahini, purple cabbage, shepherds salad (tomato/cucumber/red onion), hot garlic herb sauce stuff.

G is for Groceries: Where do you purchase yours?
Depending on what I need, I split my time between Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Giant. If there's a farmer's market anywhere in the vicinity, I'm there.

H: is for Hot Beverages: What is your favorite hot drink?
I guess my response is somewhat seasonal. In the winter I love hot green tea, or Tazo's passion tea. The rest of the year I drink coffee. Give me a good latte or cappuccino and I'm a happy girl.

I is for Ice Cream: Pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.
A really good vanilla. That's all I ask! When I'm at the beach I'll go for praline or butter pecan. But mostly I just love vanilla ice cream.

J is for Jams or Jellies: Do you eat them? If so, what kind and flavor?
Ehhhh 350 days out of the year I don't eat it. I'm that kid who ate pb sandwiches with no j. But if I had to chose I'd say some combo of strawberry and/or rhubarb.

K is for Kashi: Name your favorite Kashi product?
I've actually never tried Kashi. Put down your stones!

L is for Lunch: What was yours today?
Egg salad sandwich on whole wheat bread and Lays potato chips. Both on the sandwich and on the side. My dad and brother would approve, my mom probably thinks we're all crazy. The crunch is so good though, I swear!

M is for microwave: What is your favorite microwave meal/snack?
I really love Amy's pesto tortellini. It's super delicious. Not entirely fantastic for you, but definitely tasty.

N is for nutrients: Do you like carbs, fats, or proteins best?
Carbs all the way. Preferably fatty carbs.

O is for oil: What kind do you like to use?
I use olive oil most often for cooking and canola in baking.  I bought peanut oil for a recipe recently and had unhealthy oil guilt.  If I have a coronary in the near future, you'll know why.

P is for protein: How do you get yours?
I usually have Greek yogurt for breakfast or lunch every week day, and try to have lean protein with the other meal as well. Breakfast for the last few weeks has been a turkey sandwich, courtesy of Jamie. Turkey, brie or goat cheese, fig (fresh when available, spread when not). Heavenly. I also love beans, when I remember to cook them (I store chickpeas and black beans dry so that takes some effort).

Q is for Quaker: How do you like your oats?
If I can't have them in an oatmeal raisin cookie, I'll take them in a bowl with a little brown sugar.
R is for roasting: What is your favorite thing to roast?
Potatoes! I absolutely adore roasted potatoes. Toss with olive oil, throw in a few whole (peeled) cloves of garlic, roast. Perfection. Roasted cauliflower would tie with roasted chickpeas for second. Cauliflower with olive oil and garlic (broken into small enough pieces that they turn nice and crispy), chickpeas with olive oil and chili powder.

S is for sandwich: What’s your favourite kind?
I am, for the most part, an equal opportunity sandwich eater. I probably do hold grilled cheeses in higher standing than others, but there are so many things you can do with cheese and bread. Buttered bread with a little mayo and some good cheddar make for a great classic, and you can never go wrong with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and pesto grilled to ooey gooey deliciousness.

T is for travel: How do you handle eating while traveling?
Mostly, I go all out when traveling. I don't believe in denying my taste buds of local classics and traditional foods for the sake of weight loss. It just doesn't seem right! I do my best to control portion sizes, but you better believe I'm taking advantage of the fare.

U is for unique: What are some of the unique foods that you like?
I love chewing on raw rhubarb (peeled first, of course). People think I'm insane, because it's really sour, but I've been doing it since I was a wee one and would bake strawberry-rhubarb pies with my grandma with fruit from her garden. Also, while you will never (ever) see me order pancakes or waffles at a restaurant, I am head over heels for my family's sour cream waffle recipe. Not only are they savory-with-a-bit-o'-tang goodnes, but I eat them a little differently - plain (or possibly wrapped around some bacon), with my hands. My parents tried for roughly 23 years to get me to eat them with fork and knife, but I just don't see the point. It's not like I put syrup on them. Ew.

V is for vitamins: What kind do you take?
When I remember, I take Nutrilite's Double X multi. I feel 10000000x better when I'm taking it, I'm just a wee bit forgetful. I also take a hair, skin and nails supplement.

W is for Wiener Schnitzel: Do you ever recreate this traditional Czech food?
Not yet, but I'm sure someday I will.

X is X-RAY: If we xrayed your belly right now, what food would we see?
Seared tuna pizza and a spicy tuna roll from dinner at one of my fave restaurants, and some canary melon.

Y is for Youth: What foods remind you of your childhood?
Fried egg sandwiches, homemade popcorn, spaghetti with olive oil (or butter) and parmesan cheese, ritz crackers and triscuits, strawberry-rhubarb pie, icebox cookies.

Z is for Zucchini: How do you prepare it?
Lately I've just been brushing with olive oil and simply grilling, sprinkling with a little kosher salt. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment